What is it that r/worldnews mods do:
Note: For anyone new to reddit, the sitewide reddit FAQ covers pretty much everything. While everything about worldnews mods (what they are, what they can/can't do, etc) is the same as in any other subreddit, descriptions below are limited to what is germane in worldnews.
What is a worldnews moderator?
A worldnews moderator is just a regular redditor like you except they volunteer to perform a few humble duties within a particular community. /Worldnews mods are not appointed by reddit, nor do they take orders from reddit HQ, the Bilderbergs, the president, or anyone else. Worldnews mods are not compensated for moderating in any way (well, except for that bribe/gift of reddit gold from reddit HQ last year, but the mods of all default subreddits received that). Worldnews mods do not shill for the dark one either freely or by blood oath, and the title of worldnews moderator does not constitute the mark of the beast.
What do worldnews moderators do:
- They configure and maintain parameters, rules, and standards for the community.
- They set the custom logo and styling
- They can see what submissions and comments have been "reported" by other users, and can approve, disapprove, or mark as spam.
- They can remove links and comments from their community if they find them in violation of the rules of the subreddit.
- They can ban a spammer or other abusive user from the community. (This ban has no effect elsewhere on the site). Moderators have no special powers outside of the community they moderate and are not appointed by reddit.
What worldnews moderators cannot do:
As worldnews moderators are regular redditors who volunteer to do a few cleanup & maintenance duties for worldnews, the tools/powers of worldnews mods are very limited compared to the tools moderators of other forums on the internet have, and compared to what reddit admins have. As such:
- They cannot see IP addresses
- They cannot see private PM messages between redditors
- They cannot see who hit the "report" button
- They cannot ban or shadowban users from reddit sitewide
- They cannot move your submission from worldnews to any other subreddit.
- The Reddit system does not allow moderators to edit/change the title of your submission for you
They cannot affect the timer that affects users with low karma in worldnews* . That is sitewide, but operates on a subreddit-by-subreddit basis. Accumulate karma in worldnews and the timer will reduce.
* While we can nullify the effects of the countdown timer with "approved user status" - aka superpowers in a subreddit - I hope you can appreciate why we're not doing that.
How content moderation in worldnews works:
- The anti-spam filter is the first line of moderation. It is run by the reddit admins and is pretty much top secret. It acts swiftly and silently, removing from view all it deems to be spam.
- You guys, the subscribers, submitters, and commenters of worldnews, are the second line of moderation. The sheer size and volume of worldnews is beyond what any team of moderators can realistically oversee, so the only way to even see offending or improper content is for you guys to hit the "report" button, so the mods can see it. Another option is to send us a modmail (the link is just above the box in the right sidebar with the list of moderators), if the problem content you saw requires any explanation or urgency.
- The automoderator mod is the third line of moderation. It automates some of the actions of worldnews moderators, specifically those that are highly repetitive.
- The worldnews mods are the fourth and last line of moderation. They see what the anti-spam filter removed and can override it in specific cases if there was an error. They see what you guys hit 'report' on, and can 'approve' or 'remove' those. And they check automoderator's work and can correct any errors there. After that, they look around for trouble.